Terms Of Service
Alexandria Learning Ecosystem for Educators (ALEE) is a tech-enabled but teacher-first instructional tool that allows teachers to create rigorous lesson plans for books with the guidance of experts. We provide curated instructional content for high-quality literary works by the experts themselves: teachers.
2. Responsibilities. You agree to strictly comply with these Terms.
You agree to be bound by the following general obligations regarding comments and content you post or upload on our Web App:
Any inappropriate content will result in the content being removed and the possible cancellation of the subscription without any financial compensation depending on the degree of inappropriateness. The degree of inappropriateness will be determined exclusively by us without any negotiation or appeal being entered into.
You agree that any content not following these Terms is regarded as inappropriate content and/or content which otherwise breaches these Terms.
Specifically: ALEE prohibits content that is offensive or inappropriate; promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group, individual, country, religion, etc.; is pornographic or sexually explicit in nature; incites aggression or violence; and/or is harassing, bullying, or discriminatory.
3. Use of our Services. You must not use the Web App or our Website in any way that causes or may cause damage to the Web App or Website, or that impairs the availability of our Services. You must not use our Services in any way that is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent, or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent, or harmful purpose or activity. Also, it is your responsibility to create a unique password for the Web App and Website and keep it confidential.
4. Intellectual Property. The Services and its original content (excluding content provided by users), features, and functionality are and will remain the exclusive property of ALEE and its licensors. The Web App, Website and our original content, features, and functionality are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of both the United States and foreign countries. Our trademarks and trade dress may not be used in connection with any product or service without the prior written consent of ALEE.
5. Fair Use and Usage Restrictions
The books and content available on the Alexandria Learning Ecosystem for Educators (ALEE) platform are protected by copyright laws and are intended solely for educational use by teachers. Users are prohibited from engaging in any of the following actions:
Copying: You are not allowed to copy, reproduce, or duplicate any book or instructional content from our platform, including books, in any format.
Distribution: You are not permitted to distribute, share, or disseminate the books or instructional content found on our platform to anyone outside your educational institution or to any unauthorized individuals.
Screenshots: Capturing screenshots or any form of screen recording of the books or instructional content is strictly prohibited.
Print of Books: Printing or reproducing physical copies of the book are not allowed.
Unauthorized Use: The books and instructional content available on our platform is intended solely for teacher use in the classroom setting. Using the content for any other purpose, such as personal use, commercial use, or distribution beyond the classroom, is strictly prohibited.
These restrictions are in place to protect the intellectual property rights of authors and content creators and to ensure that the educational materials on our platform are used responsibly and in accordance with fair use policies.
6. Account Security and Usage Restrictions
Login Information: Each user is assigned a unique account for accessing ALEE. Sharing or disclosing login credentials with unauthorized individuals or entities is strictly prohibited. Users are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their account information and ensuring that access is limited to authorized users only.
The security of your account is of utmost importance to us, and we appreciate your cooperation in adhering to this usage restriction. Unauthorized sharing of login information undermines the integrity of our platform and violates our commitment to protecting user data and educational resources. We encourage users to report any suspicious activity or unauthorized access to their accounts promptly.
By respecting these account security and usage restrictions, you contribute to a safe and productive learning environment for all educators and students who rely on the ALEE platform.
7. Consequences of Unauthorized Sharing
Cancellation of Subscription: In cases of confirmed unauthorized sharing of login information or other violations of our usage restrictions, ALEE reserves the right to take immediate action, including the cancellation of the offender’s subscription to the platform. This action may result in the loss of access to all content, resources, and benefits associated with the ALEE platform.
We believe that these consequences are essential to maintaining the integrity of our platform, protecting the rights of content creators, and ensuring a fair and respectful usage environment for all users. Your cooperation in adhering to these guidelines is greatly appreciated and contributes to a positive and enriching experience for other educators.
8. Legal Acquisition of Epubs and PDFs
We want to assure our users that all the files available on the Alexandria Learning Ecosystem for Educators (ALEE) platform have been legally purchased from authorized sources. We respect the intellectual property rights of authors, content creators, and publishers, and we are committed to complying with copyright laws.
By using our Services, you acknowledge and agree that all the digital books and materials made available through ALEE have been obtained legally, and their use is strictly governed by the Fair Use and Usage Restrictions outlined in this Terms of Service Agreement.
9. Children Under 13. The Web App and Website is intended for adults and is not intended for children 13 years or younger.
10. Limitation of Our Liability. We will provide the Services with reasonable care and skill. However, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage in the following cases: If we are unable to provide our Services to you due to any reasons beyond our control; or for any loss you suffer when using our Services in any case.
11. Resolving Disputes. We would like the opportunity to address any concerns you may have regarding our Services. By subscribing to our Website and/or purchasing or Web App and your acceptance of these Terms, you agree to take reasonable steps to resolve any dispute that may arise by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and informally outlining the issues you have. We will also take reasonable steps to resolve this dispute informally. Furthermore, you and ALEE collectively agree to resolve any claims relating to our provision of Services, and the Terms, through the use of mediation or arbitration. This agreement ensures that we both utilize alternative dispute resolution mechanisms before resorting to formal litigation.
12.1 Mediation Venue and Process. If a dispute from your use of our Services that is not resolved through negotiation, the parties agree first to try in good faith to settle the dispute by mediation administered in New York, New York by a single mediator mutually agreed to by the disputing parties pursuant to the then obtaining rules of the American Arbitration Association under its Commercial Mediation Procedures before resorting to arbitration. The costs of mediation shall be shared equally amongst the parties.
12.2 Arbitration Venue and Process. Any dispute or controversy arising from your use of our Services that is not resolved through mediation shall be settled by arbitration in New York, New York by a single arbitrator mutually agreed to by the disputing parties pursuant to the then obtaining rules of the American Arbitration Association, but without any requirement that the parties utilize the arbitration services of the American Arbitration Association. Such arbitration shall be the sole and exclusive remedy for such disputes except as otherwise provided in this Agreement. Any award rendered shall be final and conclusive upon the parties, and a judgment may be entered in any court having jurisdiction.
12.3 Arbitration Costs. In any arbitration proceeding with respect to any dispute arising under or to collect any benefits due under this TOS Agreement, the prevailing party in the proceeding shall be entitled to recover the costs of the proceeding and reasonable attorney fees from the other party. If ALEE is the prevailing party, ALEE may offset any amounts owed by ALEE to you by amounts that you owe to ALEE by reason of this Section.
13. General. This TOS constitutes the entire agreement between ALEE and you. This TOS Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York. Subject to the binding arbitration clause above, you agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the country of The United States of America in the State of New York. The failure of ALEE to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the TOS shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable by a court, the remaining provisions of these Terms will remain in effect. These Terms constitute the entire agreement between ALEE and you regarding our Services and supersede and replace any prior agreements we might have had between ALEE and you regarding the Services.
You agree that any cause of action related to or arising out of your relationship with ALEE must commence within ONE year after the cause of action accrues. Otherwise, such cause of action is permanently barred.
15. Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless ALEE our officers, directors, employees, affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, related entities and agents, from and against any claims, actions or demands, including without limitation reasonable legal and accounting fees, alleging or resulting from your submission and/or use of content from our Services or your breach of these Terms. ALEE shall provide notice to you promptly of any such claim, suit, or proceeding and may choose in our sole discretion to assist you, at your expense, in defending any such claim, suit or proceeding.
16. Links. ALEE has reviewed all of the websites linked to the ALEE website and Web App. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.
17. Warranties. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, REGARDING THE SERVICE INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, SECURITY, ACCURACY AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION THAT ACCESS TO OR OPERATION OF THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. YOU ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK OF LOSS RESULTING FROM YOUR DOWNLOADING AND/OR USE OF FILES, INFORMATION, CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED FROM THE SERVICE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF WARRANTY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
18. LIMITATION OF DAMAGES; RELEASE. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SITE, THE SERVICE, ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OR EMPLOYEES, OR ITS LICENSORS OR PARTNERS, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, OR DATA, OR FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, HOWEVER ARISING, THAT RESULT FROM: (A) THE USE, DISCLOSURE, OR DISPLAY OF YOUR USER CONTENT; (B) YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE; (C) THE SERVICE GENERALLY OR THE SOFTWARE OR SYSTEMS THAT MAKE THE SERVICE AVAILABLE; OR (D) ANY OTHER INTERACTIONS WITH USE OR WITH ANY OTHER USER OF THE SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE BUT NOT RECKLESS OR INTENTIONAL MISCONDUCT) OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, AND EVEN IF A REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS LIMIT OR DO NOT PERMIT DISCLAIMERS OF LIABILITY, SO THIS PROVISION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
If you have a dispute with one or more users, a restaurant or a merchant of a product or service that you review using the Service, you release us (and our officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
If you are a California resident using the Service, you may specifically waive California Civil Code §1542, which says: “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.”
19. CONTACT US. If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us at email@example.com.
Last updated: August 10, 2023